Tuesday, January 5, 2010

5 de Enero





Today was good. Had only one class and it was drawing, so ya didn't do much. Well I did a lot during my 4 hours of nothing. Almost read the entire Farewell to Arms (Ernest Hemingway) and got my classes worked out, paid for these trip deals. Anyways not important.

For lunch we decided to find some a little resturante called a "Soda" which I guess is just a small little sit down place, hard to compare it to anything in the United States. It's like a sit down resturant run by one person, they had 4 tables inside and no menu or anything. We had to ask what she had and the kitchen was like a normal household kitchen, no commercial oven or anything, just straight up home kitchen that cooked legit homemade food. It was delicious, but expensive and slow. We sat down around 12:15 assuming a good 45 minute to an hour lunch, and it went easily till 2. Everything just moves so much slower down here, which I guess I should have expected. The food was also more expensive than I expected, 3000 colones, 6 dollars, and it really didn't fill me up, but it was delicious. Also besides simply eating some legit Costa Rican quisine, which is really any at least central american dish, pretty general, I walked into a new part of town today, which I was told was the bad part of town. Which was pretty obvious. I mean we were surrounded by people so it was legit, but at night, no bien. Also if you were to go off the main drag, as we did, you probably were like, should I be here, which I was. I mean it was my first encounter with a begger, which was just like America, honestly in America I feel there are more beggers, which is weird since the conditions are worse here, at least relative to America.

The walk down was fine, it was the walk back where I got scared because my little hijo acted like we were lost, and maybe we were, I can never tell with that boy. Also my roomate bought swin trunks for $8 and that was in a mall, so ya, muy barato.

Now for dinner, probably the funniest experience of my life, even if my Spanish wasn't firing on all cylinders. Like the little boy, the 4 year old was doing stuff, then he locked his older brother out of the house and the parents were cool with it. I mean honestly, the little boy was getting into all kinds of stuff and the parents just let it slide, they didn't even punish him or anything. It was strange, but also refreshing, hard to explain. But ya so overall today was filled with just lots of new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment