Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tamarindo (Sorry I forgot to post this one, may repeat some stuff)





First excursion out, crazy weekend. It was full of injuries via a coral reef, surfing, and of course dancing. I'll begin without to Tamarindo because it is definatley worth mentioning.

We took two private bus/van's (hard to distinguish what they really were) and were told we weren't taking public because it would take 9 hours instead of 7. Keep in mind we didn't travel more than 250km. So that being a little over 100 miles or so just imagine our average pace in this trip. Costa Rica is a very small country but to drive across it is quite a experience. At one point we were stuck in a traffic jam for roughly an hour as a result of road construction. It was rather strange because they would never have done such a thing in the States. The roads really aren't in horrible condition at any one time, except for the last maybe 8 miles before Tamarindo where they become unneccesarily bumpy, even for a gravel road. As for sights along the way, you see quite a bit, such as mountains, rolling hills, lakes, etc... Very pretty.

Once we reached Tamarindo it was 9 but still the beach called our name and we quickly ran over there and did that whole thing till who knows when and we left. The next day was a surfing madness showdown. I have to say it is one of the more exhilarating deals I've ever done, well not quite but still real fun. I happened to stand up on the 2nd wave I caught and rode it in, which was a pleasent suprise, so after that I was pretty much hooked. By the end of the day I improved none and now have sunburn worse than ever before, so look as to what I have accomplished.

That night we went dancing, and that was quite the experience. I went up on a little stage deal and threw my legs into something weird, I guess it looked kinda like some sort of Irish dancing but whos to really know, but for whatever reason the locals seemed to love that, so needless to say I did that quite a bit. After maybe 3 or so times of me doing this a German dude, a huge guy, came and started to jump on the stage, stompin his feet, really pounding the ground only to find the stage shatter underneath his feet. Lesson learned, not really sure what it is.

Being in a tourist destination everything was pretty expensive once again, and honestly it all kinda disappointed me. There was very little actual culture in Tamarindo, mostly just a giant tourist destination, fun, but not really a cultural experience.

Oh dinner, I forgot, we had a tabel set up on the beach at some hole in the wall resturant and totally did the sunset dine thing. That was crazy awesome. We met a homeless dude from the states who had been living in Costa Rica for 16 years. This one girl kept going, "Hey do you know Spanish" and he'd say back "Well, I've been here for 16 years" only to find her asking the same question again, "But, do you know Spanish?" and on and on that cycle went for a few minutes. I just started laughing after a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment