Sunday, January 17, 2010

Puerto Viejo

I will try in my best ability to describe this next area we traversed to, but I fear that there is no real way to properly describe this small beach side surfing town. There is one paved road that runs down the main drag, and the off shoots are all gravel roads with numerous pot holes, and few cars. Every local seems to have either dreads or some crazy amount of hair, or something about them that makes you say, "there just a bit off" but at the same time everyone was very nice and inviting.

So first for the hotel we stayed at, it was nice, safe and comfortable and as the story goes I was locked out of my room and forced to sleep in a hammock outside on Friday night, but I'm not really complaining about that. There was an abundance of what appeared to be stray dogs, and the one that we had following us around and potentially saved me from absolutely nothing, we coined the name Doctor Good Friend as a compromise between my ambitions and Will's. Another note here, Dr. Goodfriend just hacked things up all day but never once did she fail to follow us to where we were going, not even to see the Reggae bands every night.

The town is obviously in horrible shape and a rather poor community, but I wouldn't say unhappy or in any sort of real danger. Thats what I think makes the atmosphere so strange, because there is obviously a feel of almost a seperate state originating out of this village because of its sharp split with the rest of Costa Rica. This place seems to operate more under a socail agreement made between the citizens inhabiting the area rather than any government operation. I say this because drugs are about as easy to obtain here as gum is back in the states. You are approached with offers of countless things, and obviously you don't just go grabbin that stuff. So this is not a family friendly little town, but definately an experiece.

There is a black sand beach which was pretty epic. The surf was much better except not really more fun because it had recently flooded and the water was super dirty, so real gross there in the water, yet these waves were probably the most dangerous waves I've ever seen mainly because they were massive, I tried to surf them but since I haven't mastered reading the waves so that I could ride with the wave and blah blah blah it was a short ride.

But overall this was the weekend I decided that I will come back and live here someday, hopefully teach English as a second language to some kids down here and just chill out and live in Costa Rica, just gotta get that spanish down.
Video of the area... maybe it will help, probably not

No comments:

Post a Comment